[Sca-cooks] Medieval origins of farinata?

Euriol of Lothian euriol at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 11:08:17 PST 2010

I just read the article, and of course what they describe doesn't sound like the same thing.

Reminds me though of a recipe I was working on last year, which was Spanish in origin.

Here is the recipe from the Florlegium Archive (http://www.florilegium.org/?http%3A//www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.html) to illustrate the example:

*****

TORTA DE HUEVOS
QUE SE DICE
SALVIATE
 Take some sage
leaves, and
grind them quite vigorously; and take a good quantity of eggs, and beat
them
and mix them with the sage; and then take a frying pan, and cast in lard in
such a manner that after melting there is a finger's breadth or more in
the
frying pan; and if there is no lard, take common oil which is sweet and
very
good, the same quantity; and when the lard or oil boils, cast in the
eggs with
the sage, and make of them an omelet (57) which is well-cooked; and this omelet
should be two fingers thick, or more.  And when it is well-cooked or
fried,
cast it on a good plate with much sugar above and below; and this omelet should
be eaten hot

*****

So even the first impression by the title would be a "pie"... it seems to be clear (at least by the translation) that it is more like what we know as a modern day omelet. So it has me pause to think of the scope of the meaning of "torte" and/or "torta" has changed over the centuries as we have come to discover with other culinary terms.

 Euriol