[Sca-cooks] Irish Soda Bread

Deborah Hammons mistressaldyth at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 18:25:33 PDT 2010

Real Irish Soda bread gets tough if you actually knead it. Just mixing it
together enough to make the ball.  And since the soda and buttermilk start
perking just as soon as they are mixed, the longer you let it sit, the more
it rises.  And the traditional (read period) wheat for that area is a soft
wheat, rather than a hard one.(Hard ones have more gluten in the first
place)  And then there is the cake kind, and the farl kind.  Cake being
baked in an oven on a stone and farl being cooked in a cast iron pot.

Aldyth