[Sca-cooks] European Measurement Conversion

H Westerlund-Davis yaini0625 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 14:17:45 PDT 2010

Godan daginn

I am translating a Saami recipe called Vesterelv's viltgryte (Vesterelv's Wild Casserole) What kind of meat is not mentioned in the recipe but I am assuming it is either reindeer or elk, which is a staple among the Saami. It just indicates cleaning the meat and cutting it into strips and cubes.

I am pretty familiar with most European measurements, but I am stumped on two that are mentioned.
1st one: 3-4 ss meierismør (which I have translated as 3-4 tsp dairy butter)  Is "ss" equivalent to tsp? For the amount of meat cooked I would think more would be required.
2nd one: 1 beger (125 g) Snøfrisk Einebær ( which I have translated as 1 cup-125 g Snøfrisk juniper berries) If beger is cup that is a lot of juniper berries!

Does anyone know if there is a deference between regular juniper berries and Snøfrisk juniper berries?

I am going to try this recipe this weekend with left over elk.

Takk Takk
Aelina the Saami

Duct Tape is like the Force: It has a light side & a dark side
and it holds the universe together.