[Sca-cooks] Sixteenth Century Turkish

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Mar 20 19:36:34 PDT 2010

Her book is
Celebration at the Sarayi; a culinary journey back in time - $24 (CD)

Channon Mondoux. Includes illustrated audio introductions to each
section of the ecookbook. The author has resurrected recipes from the
16th century Ottoman Empire and adapted them for the modern kitchen,
in easy to print out and use form.  Yet it’s not simply measurements
& cooking times. She relates the stories behind these dishes, gleans
from observations of travelers of the time, and from translations of
historical texts. Includes video demonstrations of techniques to guide
you, in an easy to navigate multi-media PDF file. TEC Publishing

Devra has copies.

Her website is here: http://www.rencuisine.com/

***

Also check out http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/

Teaching 15th and 16th century Ottoman cuisine

* Kingdom of An Tir Culinary Symposium, November 14-16:  I taught 2
classes - one history and one hands-on. The event was held in the
Barony of Dragon's Laire at a lovely rustic camp on a lovely misty
lake outside Belfair WA. I had a large attendence of enthusiastic
participants, more than i had anticipated.

In the hands-on class, over 12 students and i cooked Chicken soup with
egg-lemon sauce, Ottoman-style saffron rice, and Sefereliyya, lamb
with fresh quinces, dried apricots, and almonds.

by Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM) the persona formerly known as Anahita

Hope this helps

Johnnae