[Sca-cooks] Gulf Wars Roses' Rapier Tournament breakfast - OOP Long

Michael Gunter dookgunthar at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 21 13:11:30 PDT 2010

The Roses' Rapier Tournament at Gulf Wars seems to have been a

success. I had no real idea what I was in for so I just kind of

stabbed out in the dark.

I wanted to do something kind of elegant and different so I went with

a crepe bar. Not wanting to cook hundreds of crepes on site I prepared

300 crepes ahead of time and froze them. Freezing crepes worked out

fine and there wasn't much change in texture or taste. I'll post the

basic crepe recipe later.

I prepared many of the fillings ahead of time and put them in Seal-A-Meal

bags. Some stuff I froze and others I kept cool and airtight.

The menu was in two parts, savory and sweet:

Savory:

Scrambled eggs

Roasted chicken

Ham

Swiss cheese

Cheddar/Jack mix cheese

Fresh tomato

Hollandaise sauce

Sautee'd mushrooms

Sweet:

Macerated strawberries

Blueberry compote

Bananas

Nutella

Cream cheese

Whipped cream

Also included in the bar were various sweet breads (banana bread, lemon

cakes, brownie bites, pound cake, apple strudel), coffee, tea, orange juice

and mimosas. I also made a fruit salad as a side dish for plated crepes.

I orginally planned for preset combinations but that quickly flew out the

window as the diners requested varied combinations. I expected more

would want the sweet but at the beginning the vast majority of requests

were savory combinations.

The chicken was more popular than I expected and I should have brought more

of the cheeses. Hollandaise sauce is also popular. The fresh tomato wasn't

requested much.

Nutella was MUCH more popular than I expected. We bought two large jars

and I was pretty much out by the end of the breakfast.

Coffee was very popular and we had a hard time keeping up with demand

because there was a stiff and cool breeze blowing on the stovetop coffeemaker.

One reason I chose crepes was because they could be elegant when folded

on a Rose's plate but also easily wrapped in a paper napkin and eaten out

of hand by the fighters.

I started cooking at 9:00 am and finished when I ran out of food a bit after

1:00 pm. Each order averaged about 30 sec to complete and we were pretty

steady. I don't know how many people I served but I would guess a bit over

200.

Overall it worked well and people seemed happy. Most people want eggs

and such more than sweet earlier in the day. Make lots of coffee. Nutella

is more popular than expected and those Roses can sure suck down the

champaigne! We used over a case.

Gunthar