[Sca-cooks] A Feast in the Time of Chaucer

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Mar 27 10:31:28 PDT 2010

They seem to indicate that this banquet was served in a "courtyard
which occupied the centre of the public square adjoining the basilica"
which was
known as the Piazza dell' Arengo. This was next to a reconstructed
palace, complete
with tower and a loggia. Of course the one account seems to indicate
they ate in a series
of "halls," no one hall being large enough. But of course there's also
the suggestion in a footnote that Violante was served her wine by a
server on horseback.

I have no idea where the kitchens would have been.
Cook mentions that the guests might have been seated in a loggia. see
pages 63-64.
(Transactions - The Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences, Volume
21 contains
the Cook paper "The last months of Chaucer's earliest patron."

We have to remember that we are very lucky to have this menu at
all. How many hundreds of court accounts list the gifts and never
mention
the food at all? Here we at least have an indication of the foods
being served.
The accounts vary as to how many might have been served, so we don't
know the quantities, but we have an idea at least to the dishes.
It would be an interesting exercise to take this menu and use Baroness
Helewyse's translations from the early Italian cookery books to come
up with possible recipes.

Some of the accounts indicate that Violante's uncle Amedeo VI, the
Green Count of Savoy who had been  negotiating the marriage paid for
this banquet. There might be some connections to Savoy, although
Master Chiquart would be 15th century and not late 14th.

Johnnae