[Sca-cooks] Interesting article on the female origins of beer

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Wed Mar 31 00:21:39 PDT 2010

--- Raphaella DiContini <raphaellad at yahoo.com> schrieb am Di, 30.3.2010:

> Von: Raphaella DiContini <raphaellad at yahoo.com>
> Betreff: [Sca-cooks] Interesting article on the female origins of beer
> An: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
> Datum: Dienstag, 30. März, 2010 21:44 Uhr
> For your amusement and discussion:
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7538264/Men-owe-women-for-creating-beer-claims-academic.html

Cute, and I'm sure the original thesis is much better developed than the article makes it seem.

I can't speak to Germanic traditions, but in much of medieval Europe and in the Ancient Near East, 'beer'making was mostly part of the domestic spühere and a female skill. Of course there are also monastic contexts, and German commercial brewing was a male occupation at least from the fifteenth century onwards, probably earlier.

And this thing about men starting to drink beer 200 years ago is misleadingly phrased. The phenomenon that's interesting is women stopping. I suspect it's to do with the stronger association of female eating habits with daintiness and upper-class refinement. Women don't stereotypically drink beer (IRL they do, of course) for the same reason ladies don't sink their teeth into BBQ steak and chips and real men don't eat quiche.

Ladies, social convention did badly by you. I mean, quiche is OK, but still...

Giano