[Sca-cooks] cherry pottage, what's a #1 can?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Mar 31 03:26:19 PDT 2010

There are others of course. We index 7 in the Concordance under Cherry
Pottage.

One really easy way to find cherry recipes is to
go to medievalcookery.com and use Doc's handy search engine.

Search under cherry and then again under cherries. Results vary a bit.

http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi/search.pl?term=cherry&file=all

http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi/search.pl?term=cherries&file=all

You didn't specify a country or time period and over name the pottage
name becomes
sometimes 'pudding.' This one is late but retains the pottage name.

To make pottage of Cherries. Fry white bread in butter til it be brown
and so put it into a dish, then take Cherries and take out the stones
and frye them where you fried the bread then put thereto Sugar,
Ginger, and Sinamon, for lacke of broth, take White or Claret Wine,
boyle these togither, and that doon, serve them upon your Tostes.

This is from A Book of Cookrye (England, 1591)
------

Can sizes:

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blhelp7.htm

Hope this helps