[Sca-cooks] cherry pottage, what's a #1 can?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Mar 31 05:59:56 PDT 2010

I would say it is a one pound can rather than a Number 1 can.  The standard
numbers for can size went out when can manufacturing consolidated after the
Second World War.  Industry sizing is now diameter by height in millimeters
which allows for any size of can to be to be to standard and provides the
basic settings to produce the can.

A Number 1 can holds 1 1/4 cups U.S. measure and has a weight of between 10
and 12 oz. U.S. depending on the contents.

Bear