[Sca-cooks] [oysters

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun May 2 13:30:20 PDT 2010

<<
I believe that there are recipes in the Florilegium, including period recipes.

Brighid ni Chiarain >>

<<< For Rocky Mountain oysters?  I would doubt it.  For regular oysters,
yes...but, at least from what I have always known, mountain oysters are a
euphomism for bulls' testicles.

Kiri >>>

Sigh. Oh thee, of little faith.  Despite all my preaching. :-)

In the Florilegium FOOD-MEATS section:
organ-meats-msg (114K) 11/14/08 Period cooking of organ meats.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/organ-meats-msg.html

=====
I enjoy the "Red Deer Testicles in Hunting Season" from Taillevent. We do
it with the "oysters" from chicken backs, and I've been meaning to try it
with real testicles, just to be able to compare texture, etc.

Its a spicy and piquant broth that offsets the meat bits rather nicely. Try it!

- --AM
=====
Well, lamb's testicles were - and still are - very popular, usually boiled,
then preserved in fermented whey (sára), as I've told you about. There are
references to bull's testicles being treated in the same manner but no
recipe as such - not that I can recall. When I was a child several lamb's
testicles were usually stuffed inside a pouch sewn from a portion of the
stomach before being boiled and if calves were being slaughtered at the same
time, I'm sure their testicles were included also.

Nanna
=====
There are a few Roman recipes for various elaborate mixed
stews and patinae that call for capon testicles, IIRC. Somewhere along
the line I have seen recipes for pig's or lamb's fry, but as I recall,
it wasn't immediately clear whether the main ingredient was testicles or
unborn, fetal animals.

Adamantius
=====
Platina 4.38

38. On Chicken Roll

Divide crests of chickens in three pieces, livers in four,
and leave testicles whole. Cut lard into bits, but do not
pound. Cut up finely two or three ounces of veal fat, or,
instead of fat, add beef or calves marrow. Use as much as
will be enough of ginger, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix all
these with about forty dried sour cherries; then put in a
roll made suitable for it from finely ground meal. It can
be cooked in an oven or under cover on the hearth. When it
is half-cooked, put over it two beaten egg yolks and a bit
of saffron and verjuice.

I wonder where one gets rooster testicles?

- -Magdalena
======

Oh, and for the answer to Magdalena's question, see other entries in this file.

I've quoted only some of the period recipes. There are some modern recipes and period descriptions in this file for delicacy as well.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com