[Sca-cooks] what the Franks were eating

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Sun May 2 22:43:33 PDT 2010

On 5/2/2010 4:22 PM, Huette von Ahrens wrote:
> Regina,
>
> I am surprised that you are surprised.  I thought that it was common knowledge that the hot dogs we eat today had been instroduced to the US by Frankfurt butchers when they immigrated to here.  In fact, according to the Oxfort Companion to Food that one expatriot Frankfurt butcher also brought his Dachshund dog with him and opened his shop on Coney Island selling his wurst as "dachshund sausages".  Myth has it that one of his shills got tired of saying "dachshund sausages" and eventually started calling them first "dog sausages" and then "hot dogs".  Another Frankfurt butcher immigrated to Vienna and his wursts soon became "Wienerwurst".  This gentleman eventually immigrated to the US and sold his "wieners" or "wiennies" to the US.  Both butchers used similar recipes, so it is not surprising that franks, hot dogs and wiennies taste so similar, and that what you tasted in Frankfurt long ago tasted just like what we have here because the same recipe is
>   still in use.  If you had wanted something different you would have needed to go to another area and taste their local wursts, like weisswurst or knockwurst or bratwurst or leberwurst or blutwurst.
>
> Huette

chuckle!  Actually I made it a point to try every different
sausage/wurst that I could while I was in Germany.  Every town has it's
own specialty.  I knew the story of how the Frankfurter got introduced
to the US, but somehow I just still thought it would be "different" in
the home of origin.  Just sort of a let down that it was indeed a "foot
long dog"  :-).  The meat seemed to be more finely ground that most of
the other wursts further south.  Not much taste either.  I liked the
sort of generic Rindwurst more than the Weisswurst although both we
definitely on my "lets just grab a curry wurst or something quick and
hit the museum".  Nuremburger sausage also seemed to have an inflated
reputation.

I guess I expected the Frankfurter to be different the was Schlitz Beer
is in Germany as opposed to the stuff we got here in the States.  The
same original recipe, but "modernized" for American tastes.

Regina