[Sca-cooks] shrimp

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed May 5 04:18:18 PDT 2010

Soft shell season is going on now...it's the early summer when crabs lose
their shells and grow new ones...and the new shell is soft for a while.  In
fact, I had soft shell crabs a few nights back at one of our local crab
eateries.  They were sauteed and were delicious!  There is a Chinese seafood
restaurant up in Rockville (north of DC) that used to serve a stir fry of
crabs, ginger and scallions...absolutely heavenly!

Kiri

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 1:07 AM, Mark S. Harris <MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com>wrote:

> Audrey answered me about whole fried, soft? shrimp with:
> <<< The shell adds crunch, and the head has a very nice texture, softer
> and richer, than the tails. You eat the whole thing (freaks us
> North-Americans out, but they're really good this way).>>>
>
> The local Chinese buffet has crabs fried in breading and a sticky
> garlic sauce over that.  I don't think anyone could eat the crab
> shells, but I've never figured out a good way to eat the meat from
> them.
>
> Ranvaig
> =======
>
> Are they soft-shell crabs? Kiri, could probably tell us more, but I thought
> there was a time period right after when the crabs have molted their shells
> when the shells were soft. I don't know if you can eat those shells or not.
> But it might be easier to get into the crab meat then.
>
> Presumably lobsters would go through the same process as they grow, but
> I've never heard of "soft-shell" lobsters.
>
> Stefan
>
> ======
> Mark S. Harris
> Electronics Engineer, Board and Systems Design
> MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince