[Sca-cooks] Thinking about cooking courses/schools

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun May 9 17:31:11 PDT 2010

If you read extensively through the news reports and articles on people
that have gone to culinary school (some now with debts totaling $40k
plus)
they end up in restaurant jobs at the bottom making minimum wage and
have to work their way up.

Here's a recent article:

"The costs of cooking
Culinary programs can be a big investment, depending on where you go.

The Art Institute of Tucson, formerly Tucson Design College, launched
its culinary program about three years ago. Its four-year bachelor's
in culinary arts costs almost $89,000 in tuition and fees. Students
pay $50,436 for the two-year associate degree, according to the
Institute's website."

Culinary-school graduates enter an increasingly competitive work force
with low pay, making student-loan payoffs difficult if not impossible.

Kitchen employees often earn minimum wage. Casey McQueen, 41, the
executive chef at Jax Kitchen since February 2009, said school gave
him a good foundation, but often the costs exceed the benefit.

"You earn maybe 50 cents more an hour, and you still have to earn your
stripes," he said. "For me, it opened the door. It's like a college
degree - it shows you are committed."

http://azstarnet.com/entertainment/dining/article_0a8c38e0-3836-501b-bfee-baab5f1af863.html

-----

Have you considered just apprenticing at the best restaurants in your
area? Some people go that route and learn as much or more.

Johnnae