[Sca-cooks] Adventures with Smithfield Ham.

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Mon May 10 12:19:02 PDT 2010

My mom used to put a mixture of brown sugar (dark) and mustard on the ham,
and studded it with cloves.  Now these were the hams my grandfather cured,
but they are very similar to the Smithfield hams and cooked much the same
way.  The only difference is that she soaked hers in a mixture of vinegar
and water.  But she definitely did do the parboil "thing."

Hope you enjoy it...I think they're wonderful.  Be aware that, even after
all that soaking and parboiling, they are still on the salty side.

Kiri

Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Michael Gunter <dookgunthar at hotmail.com>wrote:

> I may have posted earlier that I got a great deal on a Smithfield ham.
>
> In a nutshell, the store wanted to get rid of it because nobody was
>
> buying them so I got a 14lb ham for $22.
>

> It sat in the freezer for a couple of weeks and now I'm cooking it.
>
> I've soaked it in water (with several changes) for around 26 hours
>
> and now comes the cooking.
>

> The preferred method is to cover it with cool water and simmer for
>
> around 25 minutes per pound, then drain and trim skin and fat, then
>
> cover with brown sugar, breadcrumb or whatever and bake for 15 - 20
>
> minutes.
>

> Unfortunately I don't have a stockpot big enough for this monster so
>
> I have to go with the less preferred method of wrapping it in a couple
>
> layers of aluminum foil and putting it in my portable oven with 5 cups
>
> of water in the bottom and baking at 300F for 5 hours. Then take out,
>
> unwrap, let cool for an hour, cut off skin and fat and bake.
>

> I hear great things about these hams and my lady adores it sliced thin
>
> and put on fresh biscuits. It had better be worth it.
>

> Gunthar

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince