[Sca-cooks] Adventures with Smithfield Ham.

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Tue May 11 05:00:49 PDT 2010

Again, I'm talking about my grandfather's hams but it applies to Smithfield
hams as well as they are both salt-cured.

When I was growing up, my folks would bring the hams for that year (also
cured shoulders) and hang them in the space between the staircase that went
down to the basement and the one that went up to the attic...there was a
handy sort of box-like space between the two.  There they would stay until
they were used...some actually stayed there longer than a year.  With the
hams, Mama would cook them whole and we would eat off of them for several
weeks...after soaking, parboiling and baking, they needed to be kept in the
frig.  She did as Phlip suggests with the cured shoulders.  She would slice
off what she needed, rebag them in their original bag (a cotton bag made,
IIRC, from flour sacks).  She would clean off any mold, using a stiff brush,
and use them.  One of my fondest memories is of her frying the meat as
though it were bacon, then using the drippings to make red-eye gravy to
serve with grits.  Mmmmmmmmm.......

Kiri

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Saint Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:

> Dunno why you put it in the freezer- they're bloody near
> indestructible unless you get them wet.
>
> If they have more, go back to the store and buy another one, and this
> one, hang in a closet or someplace reasonably cool and reasonably
> dark. When you want a bit of ham for flavoring something, slice a few
> shavings off with a very sharp knife. Wash it, removing the mold (the
> mold doesn't hurt it a bit) and  throw the ham bits into your green
> beans, or whatever you're cooking, after chopping/cutting it into
> uniform bits. It will live quite happily in your closet (or wherever)
> for a couple years.
>
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Michael Gunter
> <dookgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I may have posted earlier that I got a great deal on a Smithfield ham.
> >
> > In a nutshell, the store wanted to get rid of it because nobody was
> >
> > buying them so I got a 14lb ham for $22.
> >

> > It sat in the freezer for a couple of weeks and now I'm cooking it.
> >
> > I've soaked it in water (with several changes) for around 26 hours
> >
> > and now comes the cooking.
> >

> > The preferred method is to cover it with cool water and simmer for
> >
> > around 25 minutes per pound, then drain and trim skin and fat, then
> >
> > cover with brown sugar, breadcrumb or whatever and bake for 15 - 20
> >
> > minutes.
> >

> > Unfortunately I don't have a stockpot big enough for this monster so
> >
> > I have to go with the less preferred method of wrapping it in a couple
> >
> > layers of aluminum foil and putting it in my portable oven with 5 cups
> >
> > of water in the bottom and baking at 300F for 5 hours. Then take out,
> >
> > unwrap, let cool for an hour, cut off skin and fat and bake.
> >

> > I hear great things about these hams and my lady adores it sliced thin
> >
> > and put on fresh biscuits. It had better be worth it.
> >

> > Gunthar

> --
> Saint Phlip
>
> So, you think your data is safe?
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/01/23/schneier.google.hacking/index.html?hpt=T2
>
> Heat it up
> Hit it hard
> Repent as necessary.
>
> Priorities:
>
> It's the smith who makes the tools, not the tools which make the smith.
>
> .I never wanted to see anybody die, but there are a few obituary
> notices I have read with pleasure. -Clarence Darrow

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince