[Sca-cooks] History of Honey and Bee Keeping

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed May 12 15:30:05 PDT 2010

Aelina asked:
<<< We have just adopted our first beehive and it is happily re-orineting itself in our yard.
Does anyone have any recommendations on books or journals about historical bee keeping? I would prefer books/ information before 1700's. We have found plenty after 1800's. >>>

Have you checked the Florilegium?

In the ANIMALS section there are these files:
bees-Markham-art (13K) 7/17/05 A translation by Baroness Morgan of Anglesey of the section on bees and beekeeping in one of Gervase Markham's books.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/bees-Markham-art.html

bees-msg (60K) 9/ 6/08 Period beekeeping.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/bees-msg.html

Beekeeping-AS-art (20K) 1/ 2/09 "Beekeeping in Anglo-Saxon/Norman England" by Baroness Morgan of Anglesey.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/Beekeeping-AS-art.html

Some other, similar files that might also be of interest. In the CRAFTS section:
beeswax-msg (12K) 9/12/01 Beeswax sources. Period uses of beeswax.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/beeswax-msg.html

Workng-Beswax-art (6K) 1/23/09 "Working With Beeswax" by Master Bedwyr Danwyn.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/Workng-Beswax-art.html

In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
honey-msg (22K) 10/10/08 Period use of honey. Honey sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/honey-msg.html

Good luck with your bees. Please let us know how it goes. There have been major problems with hives dying off, but this may mainly affect those that are being moved around and feed a monolithic diet.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com