[Sca-cooks] balsamic vinegar

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat May 15 02:24:46 PDT 2010

Raffaella remarked about her redaction for Chicken Ambrosino from Libro di cucina:

<<< I'm also still pondering what type of vinegar to use. I usually make this  for dinner with balsamic, but I'm not sure that would be the most accurate choice. The end descriptions says it "should be sharp and sweet and red in color" so perhaps I'll try red wine vinegar >>>

I would recommend the red wine vinegar. If I remember correctly, there was some discussion on this list a while back that while traditional, balsamic vinegar may not go back to our period.  I think I probably placed some of this commentary in this Florilegium file in the FOOD section:

vinegar-msg (110K) 12/ 5/09 Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/vinegar-msg.html

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com