[Sca-cooks] made my first loaf of bread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon May 17 06:52:05 PDT 2010

Two or three tablespoons of malt extract are a little more viscious than the
same amount of molasses and can be worked into the dough by kneading.
Sticky, yes, but most thick liquid sweetners tend to be.  It may be that
Ian's bread machine doesn't have the power of my KitchenAide or the baker's
kneading technique to get the job done.  I will add the caveat that adding
at least some of the liquor before adding the molasses helps reduce the
problem you have presented.

Dissolving malt extract, and for that matter honey or molasses, is usually
the better choice, since it disperses the sweetner more evenly through the
dough.  Over four tablespoons of sweetner, I would say dissolution is the
recommended technique.

Bear