[Sca-cooks] First loaves of bread

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Wed May 26 13:14:41 PDT 2010

Oertha is where I grew up.  Thus, I'm "of" there.

I'm in Wealdsmere, presently.

Thanks for the good word.  Now that I've made a too-harsh loaf, and a
too-crumbly loaf, and a too-big-but-otherwise-delicious loaf, it's time for
more fiddling.  Maybe with nuts!  I have some unsalted
pistachios....hmmm....what spices to add, I wonder?  Paprika?  garlic
powder?  dill?  my italian seasoning mix?  hmmmmm....time to break out the
mortar and pestle and grind some nuts...

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:

>  Ian of Oertha has been posting about baking bread. I thought I would
> mention
> a new book that is just out out --- as of May 4, 2010 in fact.
>
> It's called:
>
>  "52 Loaves: One Man's Relentless Pursuit of Truth, Meaning, and a Perfect
> Crust" by William Alexander.
>
> I had it with me yesterday and someone asked me flat out, "That's not a
> cookbook, is it?" I gather
> people don't normally read cookbooks in waiting rooms at this UM clinic. I
> explained it was more the equivalent of "Julie/Julia", except this was a guy
> who was setting out to make his perfect loaf of bread.
>
> He's the author of "The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity,
> Spent a Fortune, and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the
> Perfect Garden" and he's approaching bread baking in the same fashion. In
> other words all out compulsive pursuit! It's funny. Sometimes, one needs a
> food history that is funny.
>
> Amazon has a good summary of it on their website.
>
> The author also has a website on the book at:
> http://williamalexander.com/bread/index.cfm
>
> His general website is: http://williamalexander.com/index.htm
>
> Oh and Ian, if you really hail or live in Alaska (Oertha being Alaska) you
> might find
> the volumes Electric Bread, Electric Bread 2, etc helpful. Innovative
> Cooking (the folks behind the books) are based in Alaska and all the recipes
> were tested there. Jessica's Biscuit has it on sale.
>
> Johnnae

Ian of Oertha