[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 49, Issue 41

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Sun May 30 19:10:07 PDT 2010

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 19:10:41 -0400
From: Suey <lordhunt at gmail.com>
To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
Subject: [Sca-cooks] DIETS FOR THE 30 YEAR OLDS

Just married off daughter. We carefully made vegetarian menus. The only
'vegetarian' present turned out to be a Jew who loves pork!!!
My son thinks he overproduces sugar, therefore, big tummy so he eats
only veggies and meat, no fruit, no animal products except meat and does
not drink alcohol. He says diabetics have pear shaped bodies. My
nutritionist MD was surprised with my son's restrictions. Others say
there is a name for his type of diet. I wonder about his metabolism. Any
comments?
Suey

The human body doesn't really produce sugar (except by converting it from
fat). If your son feels like he has too much sugar in his system it may be
because he is diabetic or pre-diabetic. The symptoms of this can include
thirst, needing to urinate a lot, or having 'highs' or 'lows' if you have
too much or too little sugar. As other people have noticed, body type is not
necessarily an indicator although having a big tummy can contribute towards
developing Type II diabetes. The most sensible thing for him to do is to go
to a doctor. There are very simple tests for diabetes or insulin resistance,
and if he really is diabetic then he may need medication to help control his
illness. Just cutting things out of your diet is not very sensible as you
may be losing valuable nutrients for no particular reason. For instance,
most fruits are actually a low GI food, and are good for helping to maintain
blood glucose levels at a stable rate.

Angharad
(not a doctor or a dietician either, but I seem to know a lot of people with
diabetes)