[Sca-cooks] what the Franks were eating

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun May 2 02:29:52 PDT 2010

> <<<  And yes, I'm working on figuring out what the Franks were eating. :-)
>
> Liutgard>>>
>
> Frankfurters?  :-)
>
> Stefan

With baked beans and potato chips, right?

No, really. I went through the stuff in this inventory:

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/800Asnapium.html which is keen
also for the other stuff in it- and not- only one towel? For the whole
estate? But there's a list of what is in the pantry and barns, all of
the livestock, etc., which is very interesting. And what is growing in
the kitchen gardens and the orchards too.

Then there's this:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitulare_de_villis_vel_curtis_imperii The
Capitulare was basically the instructions that Charlemagne sent out on
how he wanted his various estates run, including what was to be grown in
the gardens, fields, orchards, etc. This page is in German, but if you
scroll down, you'll find the Latin names for these plants. Occasionally
there's two listed, apparently because for the one original word, there
are two possibilities as to what the plant is. There's a very wide
variety of fruit and vegetables, some medicial herbs, and some nuts. A
_very_ interesting list.

I'm hoping to put together a conjectural Frankish meal for an event over
Memorial day. We'll see how that goes. I figure that between this and
Anthimus, I have a good start.

Liutgard ;-)

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore