[Sca-cooks] Mountain Oysters was Re: Okra

yaini0625 at yahoo.com yaini0625 at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 11:41:10 PDT 2010

I don't think the term "Rocky Mountain Oysters" is exclusive to Oklahoma. I grew up here in California and heard my Mom and Grandfather talk about them all the time. The recipe I do have is from Grandpa.
My other Grandfather who was a Swedish/Saami used to lament that he couldn't get Reindeer "oysters" in Los Angeles. He said only the men would eat the parts and women weren't allowed to even touch the part. He could find just about everything else. To my knowledge I don't think he ever tried beef "oysters." He would eat the marrow on fresh bread.  In my own research on reindeer cuisine I haven't found any referenced to Reindeer testicle,yet.
Aelina the Saami

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T