[Sca-cooks] Cutting capons into 7ths, Chicken Ambrosino from Libro di cucina

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Wed May 5 13:39:58 PDT 2010

Although I can't speak for any kind of cross-over culturally, the very
first recipe in the German Wecker cookbook is for almond milk.  The use of
almond milk as an ingredient is common in the recipes in this particular
cookbook.  In this first recipe there are careful instructions to lay the
almonds in hot water and remove the skins and then further to wash them.
It even goes so far to instruct not to use an iron pestle in the grinding
process because it will turn the almonds dark and bitter.

Apparently the whiteness of the almond milk is thought of as a desirable
quality, because the potential whiteness is mentioned later in some of the
almond compounds made with an almond milk (which could be almonds and
water or almonds and milk).

There are also notations of the 'thickness' of the almond milk, which I
interpret to come perhaps from the almond to water ratio.  I may be just
me, but I find the almond skins a wee bit bitter.

Katherine, still a rank newbie, who is not pleased with the current
'brains' preparations she is slogging through on the bus in the morning.
Queasy making, it is.