[Sca-cooks] made my first loaf of bread

David Herzog norcaldutchovendave at yahoo.com
Sun May 16 17:49:42 PDT 2010

With as much sourdough bread I bake, I think the mealy texture is from not enough kneading of the dough. You really need to work the gluten in the bread flour to get a nice crumb and airy loaf of bread. Your ratio is about tight for using white unbleached bread flour when adding the buckwheat. I use the same formula when using rye, whole wheat, oat, and other flours with little or no gluten in them. I found also that bread machine flour has even more gluten than standard bread flour. You can also add gluten (found in the baking section in most stores or the organic section) to add more protein to the flour for a better loaf.
here is a yahoo group I belong to a friend of mine started for help with bread baking and some fantastic recipes also.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bread_baking_and_western_cookingI'm not promoting this group but I really do enjoy it and it may be of some help to you. I have the luxery of living 10 minutes from the famed Bute Creek Mill in Eagle Point Oregon where they stone grind many different grains and mixes. I have learned a lot from asking the miller and owner for help with some grains. I love the idea of asking your local brewer for left over grain to add into bread! There are beer and wine making stores all over and they would be a great place to start to ask for someone or somewhere to ask for the spent grain. The beer making store also carries the malted barley which is different from the malt used for making malted milk shakes.

I will be at Eagles in An Tir comming in 2 weeks. If you would like me to teach a bread baking class let me know and Id be more than happy to do so at my house kitchen.