[Sca-cooks] made my first loaf of bread

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Mon May 17 14:11:33 PDT 2010

Okay, I've made another loaf, no buckwheat.  White flour (regular baking
flour) and spelt flour.

I have another question.  Some of the loafs of bread I get at the bakery
are....hmmm....pull-apart.  I mean, when I pull them apart, they make a
cracking noise (I assume that's an egg crust?) and require some effort to
pull apart, and make a "chuff" noise when I pull them apart.

Kind of like baguettes, this way, and it's the kind of bread I identify as
being the best for fondue.

To distinguish this from regular bread, when I pull apart regular bread, my
fingers sink in, parts crumble off, and pulling it apart makes a lot of
crumbs, but doesn't require much strength.

How do I make my bread more chewy and less crumby, like this?  I like the
baguette type, better.  Someone, before, said that lack of shortening could
affect the chewiness.  My favorite breads have no crumbs at all.  Or very
few.  I like the sticking togetherness, the texture is...profound.

Any idea what I'm talking about?

Oh, btw, the white loaf I made is much better, and more like what I wanted.
I think I'll use less buckwheat when I use it.  Stuff is harsh.

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Terry Decker <t.d.decker at att.net> wrote:

> Two or three tablespoons of malt extract are a little more viscious than
> the same amount of molasses and can be worked into the dough by kneading.
> Sticky, yes, but most thick liquid sweetners tend to be.  It may be that
> Ian's bread machine doesn't have the power of my KitchenAide or the baker's
> kneading technique to get the job done.  I will add the caveat that adding
> at least some of the liquor before adding the molasses helps reduce the
> problem you have presented.
>
> Dissolving malt extract, and for that matter honey or molasses, is usually
> the better choice, since it disperses the sweetner more evenly through the
> dough.  Over four tablespoons of sweetner, I would say dissolution is the
> recommended technique.
>
> Bear
>

> Terry Decker wrote:
>>
>>> Two to four tablespoons of liquid malt extrtact should give you what you
>>> want flavorwise.  It can be added directly to the flour with the liquor or
>>> mixed into boiling water and cooled for a finer dispersion.
>>>

>> It can only be added directly to the flour if you want a big sticky mess.
>> Mix it with hot water, really.
>>
>> --
>> Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Ian of Oertha