[Sca-cooks] Mustard Roundtable at Pennsic

Drucilla Meany-Herbert bookshop at charter.net
Thu May 20 04:21:16 PDT 2010

<Good luck. Getting word out will be your biggest problem.>

Yes, I realize that...so trying to get the word out on lists such as this and others. The class info will be available online and in the Pennsic Independent, missed the deadline for the booklet tho.

<8 quarts is a lot of mustard >

Yup it is but have to make some for Barony of Marinus, Ochoda and various friends I have promised as well as the Roundtable. Not sure how many other makers of mustard I can convince to join the roundtable or be able to, so I will make more to cover all bases so there are a number of different varieties. Plus I want to try out more recipes.

<I am not sure if I've heard of these Tewksbury Mustard Balls. Are they similar to these?>

Yes, they are.  Thanks for the links!! Some of the information I already have but other nice bits I don't. I will copy off your information - was just gathering recipes for the Ball Mustard and this is a most welcome addition.

Tewksbury in the 1600's was a major mustard making center and even mentioned in a play of Shakespeare "His Wit is thick as Tewksbury mustard! - Henry IV Part II

<The New England Maple Syrup is  very unlikely to be in period or even close.>

True. Mustard as a condiment in the Americas didn't come into wide useage until the 1900's. Maple syrup itself however was processed by the Native Americans well before the 1700's. They later taught the Europeans who arrived on their shores how to collect it and use it. The climate conditions in Europe precluded the making of maple syrup - at least from maple trees. The mixture of maple syrup and mustard is pure heaven in my eyes!

It happens to be one of my favorite recipes so I want to share it with others! I do however, want to make some more mustard with recipes that are in period to balance out the ones I have made that are not.