[Sca-cooks] egg whites

Mairi Ceilidh jjterlouw at earthlink.net
Sun May 23 11:40:06 PDT 2010

Some years back I translated the recipe for A fare una Torta, sanaz Sfoglia
from the original Italian as published in the Libro Novo of Christofaro
Messisbugo.  This is my redaction from that translation:

1/2 lb. Skinned, ground almonds
6 oz. Sugar
12 Egg whites
3 oz. Rose water

Butter and flour a cake pan (may use a spring form pan for easy removal).
Heat oven to 400 deg.  Mix ground almonds and sugar.  Beat egg whites and
rose water until quite frothy; fold in almond/sugar mixture.   Pour batter
into pan and bake until top just starts to brown.  Reduce oven temperature
to 350 deg., sprinkle lightly with sugar and bake until done.  Remove from
oven, sprinkle with cinnamon, and let cool.

The entirety of the Libro Novo has been translated by Master Bacilius of the
Midrealm.  He has always been my greatest mentor.

Mairi Ceilidh

Does anyone have a medieval recipe that uses large quantities of egg whites?

--Ursula Georges.