[Sca-cooks] No Knead Bread

Jane Merrilees janemerrilees at yahoo.com
Tue May 18 14:24:54 PDT 2010

OOP but oh so good...
From my mom's 1948 Better Homes and Garden Cook Book...

Quick method (no knead) Oatmeal Bread:

2 cups boiling water
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal ( not instant..and I use regular. I think back then people mostly ate steel cut or some other longer cooking type)
1/3 cup shorting (butter is best but you can use oil, I don't use crisco any more)
1/3 cup light molasses
4 teaspoons salt
2 cakes or 2 packages granular yeast ( 21/2 teaspoons... don't use rapid rise)
2 beaten eggs
51/2 cups flour ( I use unbleached now)
Combine water, rolled oats, shorting, molasses and salt. Cool to lukewarm Add yeast, mix well. Blend in eggs. Add flour : mix unil dough is well blended. (This dough will be softer than a kneaded dough.) Place dough in a greased bowl and cover. Store in refridgerator or cold place at least 2 hours or until needed. On a well-floured board shape dough in two loves: Place in greased 9 by 4 by 3-inch pans and cover. Let rise in warm place (80* to 85*) until doubled in bulk, about 2 hours. Bake in moderate oven (375*) 1 hour. (keep a close watch, it usually takes about 30 min...I always wondered if it was a typo!)
This is the first bread I ever made...early 50's...I was just a babe...wink,wink...Mom had a Kitchen Aid way back then...and this bread could make it dance across the countertop if I wasn't careful...
nothingsaysloving
Jayn Elspeth