[Sca-cooks] mead

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 10:19:13 PDT 2010

However, there was usage of alcohol in Muslim societies....to be honest, I
have no details, but one of my apprentices has found a number of references
and, IIRC, recipes.  It appears that they made beer and, I believe, wine.
 Much of the beer was exported to other countries.  She is currently working
on a CA about alcohol production in Islamic cultures.

Kiri

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> It's ALL alcohol.  No, "The Thirteenth Warrior" was wrong, honey counts
> too.  Makes me wanna kick Dr. Crichton in his dead hiney and the filmmakers
> too, sometimes.
>
> That particular pellitory honey-water must have had to be made up fresh
> every time, to prevent fermentation... unless some naughty person did it on
> purpose of course.   I have no experience with the plant pellitory, but from
> the description it sounds like they are using it as a counter-irritant, a
> distraction, as clove oil is also used for toothache.
>
> My observations only, etc.
>
> Selene Colfox
>

> On 11/1/2010 9:59 AM, yaini0625 at yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Did they prohibit all forms of alcohol? I thought it was just grapes and
>> grain they were prohibited against.
>> Aelina
>>
>> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince