[Sca-cooks] Alcohol and its Prohibition

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Mon Nov 1 17:15:31 PDT 2010

Was written:

> Did they prohibit all forms of alcohol? I thought it was just grapes and
> grain they were prohibited against.
> Aelina

The prohibition regarding alcohol appears to be sourced in a specific
prohibition against the use of intoxicants which, if I am not mistaken, is
classed with the prohibitions against gambling and the worship of idols.
Thus the use of alcohol in various forms as an intoxicant is prohibited.
Alcohol as a substance in its other uses would appear not be prohibited.
Thus it could be used as a fuel, as a solvent, and in medicinal use.  Of
couse its medicinal use, if internally consumed, would appear to constitute
a rather slippery slope.

Other interpretations of the pertinent texts are of course possible.  What I
have reviewed could only considered a synopsis of the issues.

Dan