[Sca-cooks] mead

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 2 15:55:29 PDT 2010

I believe the Oxford English Dictionary calls this type of concoction a
hydromel:
 A liquor consisting of a mixture of honey and water, which when fermented
is called vinous hydromel or mead.

c1400 Lanfranc's Cirurg. 83 A stynkynge wounde is heelid in remeuynge awey
e stinche & e rotenes; & erto is myche wor a waischinge of ydromel: at is
hony & watir soden togidere wi mirre. 1563 T. GALE Treat. Gonneshot 2b
(Stanf.), Nitrum helpeth the Collicke if it bee taken with cummyne in
hydromell. c1645 HOWELL Lett. (1650) I. 367 In Russia, Moscovy and Tartary,
they use Mead,..this is that which the antients called hydromel. 1839 E. D.
CLARKE Trav. Russia 18/1 The young man used to drink the Russian beverage
of hydromel, a kind of mead. 1861 LD. LYTTON & FANE Tannhäuser 42 A
fountain!yea, but flowing deep With nectar and with hydromel.

toodles, margaret

--On Tuesday, November 02, 2010 7:47 PM -0300 Suey <lordhunt at gmail.com>