[Sca-cooks] Nutrition based on the four humors

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 14:51:54 PDT 2010

Emilio wrote in reference to problems of documentation of the late
Middle Ages:

> Alas, there is no detailed documentation either. They state a few passages back:
> "According to the physicians of the age ...".
>

> . . .
>
> Three of them are highly relevant for 12th century Spain, Maimonides, Averroes
> and Avenzoar. However, two questions remain.
>

> First, which aspects of their statements go back to the ancient tradition and
> which are based on experience of their own time?
>

> Second, what can one conclude from the prescriptive and doctrinal medical
> writings to actual food habits?
Here there is a lot I do not understand. Yes, I have tried to study the
ancients and of course paid a lot of attention to Maimonides, Averroes
and Avenzoar. I find I cannot grasp the four humors. When I plan a menu
I am not thinking: Sanguine, Choleric, Melacholy or Phegmatic and I
don't think any medieval cook was either unless he was a PhD in nutrition!

I understand Maimonides when he prescribes chicken broth! - Grammy and
mom did too. Today, we understand Avenzoar with his use of aloe vera but
I am overwhelmed with medieval menus - to me they are common sense
prescribed by Ziryab.
Suey