[Sca-cooks] Slap me in the face

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 06:04:05 PDT 2010

Suey,
What often happens with email has happened here.  This was not meant as a
dig and I'm sorry that you took it that way.  I was simply trying to be
direct...and wound up being misunderstood.  As I think may be the case with
others who have tried a more diplomatic tone.  To be honest, I haven't read
your blog.  At this point, I haven't had the time to devote to reading it
and preparing an intelligent critique.  I currently have three manuscripts
that I'm trying to read, amidst a number of other commitments, both in the
SCA and out.

What I was trying to say is that folks are not denigrating your time working
on your blog or in these various institutions.  What they are looking for
is, when you make a statement of what appears to be fact (and not your
opinion), you should indicate where you acquired that fact...which appears
to be unclear from what I'm hearing others say.

Kiri

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 8:08 PM, Suey <lordhunt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/3/10 8:19 PM, sca-cooks-request at lists.ansteorra.org wrote:
>
>> Then I'm afraid there is little any of us can do to help you.  The reason
>> you are getting criticisms about whether your statements are valid and can
>> be documented is because it is perceived that you are not citing your
>> sources.  Just saying that you worked in such and such a library for some
>> number of years is not sufficient.  It would be comparable to my saying
>> that
>> I believe that the Japanese sailed to the New World and taught the native
>> Americans how to make pottery based on the fact that I once took an
>> archaeology course as part of my Masters degree in Far Eastern Art
>> History!
>>  For good or ill, that's the way it works.
>>
>> Kiri
>>
> I think that is a big dig. You are telling me that 17 years of honest work
> are worth nothing and that my footnotes are invalid which happen to include
> the leading dictionaries and encyclopedias, Cervantes, Shakespeare, la
> Celestina, Juan Ruiz, Hieatt, Lucie Bolens, Nola, Sent Sovi, Fadalat etc,
> etc, etc. I find that criticism unacceptable.
> All you do is look at hoopoe. I have bent over backwards thanking you and
> trying to correct it but we can't look at second base in my blog. Alcega is
> my second entry. Would anyone like to criticize that:
>
> OCast açelga, Ar. silqa; L. Beta vulgaris, Ar. al-sulqa, silga, Fr. chardon
> (thistle), Eng Swiss chard, wild chard, a beet with white leaf stalks,
> “spinach beet” or “silver beet”. It is a fat fleshy legume with the
> appearance of a thick pale green carrot growing from 1.5 to 2m high.
> Although the root is inedible, it is like beets with large leaves and thick
> stalks. Greek and Byzantine documents confirm that it was cultivated and
> consumed as food by 600 B.C. As a native to the Mediterranean, it is thought
> to have originated in Sicily. In medieval times, Arab cooks claimed they
> brought it from northern Africa and introduced it to Al-Andalus. Until the
> end of the 13 C. chard around Cordova was not popular. Then it became a
> specialty for a minority, as it was an appreciated food item among Muslims
> and Jews. For Christians, it was monastical and poor man’s food. Slowly,
> however, chard made its way to noble tables as it adapted to the flavor
> desired and it was consumed in a great variety of ways. There are two types
> green, which are prepared like spinach or added to salads. They can be used
> as a substitute for asparagus. Both types are added frequently to stews and
> soups. The Muslims used the thick stalks separated from the leaves. From
> this came expressions like ‘beet fingers,’ which were actually chard stalks
> not beets. Further, Arabs boiled chard with chickpeas, pomegranate or sumac
> juice. The stalks too could be fried, baked, marinated or simply eaten with
> a little garum and salt and pepper. Villena’s chard is marinated, probably
> [...]

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince