[Sca-cooks] Copyright infringement and the social networking backlash

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Nov 5 19:52:48 PDT 2010

I took a look at the article and was interested to see that there were
comments on civil suit but not on criminal copyright infringement.  I would
think that this might be a case where the Feds could get involved with a
criminal prosecution.

To my knowledge, criminal prosecution requires that a copyright exist, that
the defendent did infringe the copyright, that the infringement was
"wilfull", and that the defendent produced 10 or more copies of one or more
copyrighted works with a total retail value of $2,500 within 180 days.  The
trickiest part of making this criminal is that last requirement as it may be
hard to prove.  I would suggest that the offended parties talk to the
Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section of the Justice Department
to see if they would be interested in prosecuting.

Usually, the difficulty is in proving "wilfullness," but I think the email
exchanges may demonstrate that adequately.

If anyone wants more information try Prosecuting Intellectual Property
Crimes.  It's a Justice Dept. manual that I think is online and the Criminal
Copyright Infringement is covered in Chapter 2 or 3 (IIRC).

Bear

I went to Google News to look for stories and found several. Good
summary here--
http://www.edrants.com/the-cooks-source-scandal-how-a-magazine-profits-on-theft/
The Cooks Source Scandal: How a Magazine Profits on Theft
By
Edward Champion – November 4, 2010
I can't do a lot of research due to the late hour and the eyes not
being ok yet, but it is
fascinating.

Johnnae