[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium files for November

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 7 20:41:05 PST 2010

Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for November detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World.

If you would like a quick and easy way to know when any files have been updated or a new file has been added to the Florilegium, then subscribe to the Florilegium RSS feed. Most of the modern browsers now support this feature.

If you or your local group maintain an SCA or a related website, I would appreciate a link to the Florilegium or any of the sections under it.

Thank you to all who have taken the time to look at the ads when you visited the Florilegium and picked on one or two.  The Florilegium is completely supported by the ads that merchants are willing to run, along with a few donations.

Lastly, if you have any suggestions, questions, comments or criticisms about the Florilegium, please feel free to email me.

Thanks,
Stefan
---------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past twenty-one years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in A&S papers.

The Florilegium now has an RSS feed for those who want an immediate alert when new or updated files are uploaded to the website.

Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the Florilegium, please click on an ad or two each time you are there.

     THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the ARCHERY section:
   Crossbow-Care-art   "Care and Feeding of a Medieval Crossbow" by
                          Lord Siegfried Sebastian Faust.
In the CLOTHING section:
   cl-Persia-msg       Clothing of medieval Persia.
In the FEASTS section:
   child-feasts-msg    Discussion of separate feasts for children.
In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
   fd-Scot-11thC-art   "Food of 11th Century Scotland"
                          by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis.
In the FOOD-MEATS section:
   tongue-msg          Medieval cooking of tongue. Recipes.
In the SCA-EVENT-PLANNING section:
   Fightr-Kitchn-art   "Running A Fighter-Support Field Kitchen" by
                          Baroness Jenna of SouthWind, OP.

Here are some of the updated files for this month.
   alnd-mlk-chs-msg    Period almond milk cheese.  Cheese and butter-
                          like compounds make from almond milk.
   arrows-msg          Period arrows, making arrows. quarrels.
   bellows-msg         Medieval bellows.
   Caid-hist-msg       Histories of the Kingdom of Caid.
   child-kitchen-msg   Having children in the kitchen during feast preparation.
   coronets-msg        Medieval coronets and crowns. Modern sources
   cuskynoles-msg      A medieval fruit-filled pasta dish.
   eggs-msg            Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.
   fd-Germany-msg      Medieval and Period German food. Cookbooks.
   fd-Mongols-msg      Food of the Mongols. Recipes.
   fresh-cheeses-msg   Fresh cheeses such as cream cheese and
                          cottage cheese. Non-aged cheeses.
   gingerbread-msg     Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
   organ-meats-msg     Period cooking of organ meats, unusual parts.
   p-herbals-msg       Period herb books. Modern editions.
   plums-msg           Period plums and plum recipes.
   porridges-msg       Period porridges and gruels.
   raw-fruit-vg-msg    Evidence that raw fruits and vegetables were
                          eaten in period.
   recruitment-msg     Recruitment ideas. Bringing in new members.
   siege-cooking-msg   A cooking contest where teams are given
                          min. time, ingredients to create a meal.
   tent-ps-msg         Pavilion poles, stakes and ropes.
   turnips-msg         Turnips in period. Recipes.
---
Copyright 2010, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

<end>
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com