[Sca-cooks] OOP - help my stews!

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Sun Nov 14 02:15:03 PST 2010

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 00:23:39 -0500
From: "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius1 at verizon.net>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] OOP - help my stews!

On Nov 13, 2010, at 10:29 PM, Amy Cooper wrote:
> The flour was in a slurry with some of the water - maybe 3 heaping TB?
>
> This all cooked in the crockpot for about 5 or 6 hours on low, and a
> little while on high. I did NOT brown the beef first - this was to be
> quick and easy, and not generate lots of pans to wash *sigh*.
>
> So it tastes icky - even my adventurous baby didn't want much for
> dinner. Smelled GREAT while cooking, but just doesn't taste right....
>
> Thanks - I HATE wasting ingredients like this :-(
>
> Ilsebet

One thing that comes to mind is that the beef may had enough time to begin
to go a bit off on low heat. Not a definite, but a possibility to consider.
You might also look at the rosemary; maybe it's not a quantity designed to
be cooked for so long?

Adamantius

It could be the rosemary, although that's more likely with fresh not dried I
would have thought. It might be the potato skins too. Baby potatoes are
better lightly cooked (same with the carrots and mushrooms for that matter).
You could try adding those things when there are only one or two hours left
to go, if yu are able to.

Angharad