[Sca-cooks] The Cooks Source Editor Speaks at last

Karen Lyons-McGann karenthechef at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 21:19:04 PST 2010

When you name yourself publisher and editor. No training or experience
required.   Her story reminds me of some scams people my dad knew used
to run.  They owned a small print shop. One scamwas to place ads in
the classifieds of specialy magazinesadvertising '10 amazing items
relevent to magazines topic!!  Send $1 to Box---'.   In those days
more than a few people would send actual dollars. Which they pocketed.
People would forget about it while waiting 6 to 8 weeks for delivery
and processing.  Ditto for the few checks except for the few local
enough to find you.   If any one insisted on receiving theirgoods they
copied info from an encyclopedia or specialty publication , set it up
to run off a few at theend of some other project and mail it off.
Another was to sell ad space for a local map or shoppers map.  Don't
print the thing until you've already made themoney and print no more
than to equal the few free copies you promised each merchant.  The map
info you'd get from other maps or from local records.

  There was probably a local specialty magazine version which she
heard of and until now successfully made money from on several
topics.  If she never felt the need tocreate an on-line presence she'd
be getting away with it still.

Sent from my iPod