[Sca-cooks] OP - almond extract

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Thu Nov 18 04:58:57 PST 2010

Our local food coop no longer sells "bulk" almond extract.  They do
carry it bottled (Frontier, organic), but when I was looking at the
ingredients list I noticed it didn't mention alcohol.  It's apparently
an aqueous solution of bitter almond extract.  I knew non-alcoholic
extracts were available, but I've never used them in the past.  Is the
flavor profile/strength different?  Different shelf life?  Should I go
for it, or hunt down a "regular" alcohol-based extract at the grocery store?

Sandra