[Sca-cooks] carrot cake or the likes

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 20 01:12:32 PST 2010

Johnnae said:
<<< There are lots of websites that recite the same story that carrots were used as sweeteners in the Middle Ages. >>>

Argh. I think I'm seeing another one of those myths like the idea that "spices were used in the Middle Ages to cover the taste of rotten meat".  But not quite as widespread currently.

Then quoted:
<<<"In the Middle Ages in Europe, when sweeteners were scarce and
expensive, carrots were used in sweet cakes and desserts. In  Britain...carrot
puddings...often appeared in recipe books in the 18th and 19th centuries. >>>

Okay, where's the proof for carrots being used in sweet cakes and desserts in the *Middle Ages*?

I might believe the Renaissance, but the Renaissance is not the Middle Ages. The only reason I'll consider this in the Renaissance is the appearance of the sweet(er) orange carrot by then in *some* areas. But that seems to be a hybrid or mutation by the Dutch and to have occurred after the Middle Ages.  In our "period" yes, but not in the Middle Ages.

I more might believe carrots being used in desserts in the Renaissance, but how many examples of this do we really have? If only a small proportion of desserts and such, it could still be something added for texture rather than sweetness.  Do we really have much evidence for carrots being used in cakes and pies then?

carrots-msg (61K) 6/12/10 Medieval and period carrots. Colors.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/carrots-msg.html

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com