[Sca-cooks] Types of Wheat for Bread

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Nov 26 19:46:58 PST 2010

I'm sorry . You didn't ask about manchets. You asked about bread.
Peter Brears calls for "strong wholemeal flour from which the course
bran has been sieved out"
for a cheat loaf and plain white flour for manchets and rastons.
This would be modern UK flour of course.

Does the recipe seeker live in the US or UK? Flour is going to vary of
course.

Markham's English Housewife has quite a bit in it on bread and baking
and includes a manchet recipe.

I suppose that is too late. It would be 1615 in the earliest edition.
I suspect Moffett would be a great source (circa 1595) should your
friend have access to EEBO through a university.

Maybe I can locate something more academic and suitable in the am. We
have an obligation again tomorrow so I am unsure how much time I'll
have to look.

Johnna