[Sca-cooks] Types of Wheat for Bread

Dan Schneider schneiderdan at ymail.com
Fri Nov 26 20:49:01 PST 2010

Well, I know for a fact that at least one thing they say is wrong; they quote someone to say that grain is crushed by grindstones, and it wasn't until roller-milling that grain was cut in the milling process. That is absolutely untrue, at least as far back as the 18th century (I haven't looked at earlier grindstones or rotary quernstones, so I can't say for certain about before the American colonial period) The grooves which are chiselled into the bed and runner stones would act as scissors blades, and cut the crain into increasingly small pieces (the grooves get shallower as they get closer to the outer edge of the stone). As a result, I'd be a little cautious about trusting their assertions without getting corroboration

Dan