[Sca-cooks] Sissors

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun Nov 28 09:57:22 PST 2010

>>Sissors were invented by Leoardo di Vinci so Nola's use of them
>>seems to be misleading to me. I think one of Villena's instruments
>>would be more appropriate.

'Also from "The Story of Scissors" by J. Wiss & Sons, 1948:
"Sir Flinders Petrie ascribes the development of cross-bladed shears
to the First Century.  In the Fifth Century, the scribe Isidore of
Seville, describes cross-bladed shears or scissors with a center
pivot as tools of the barber and tailor." '
http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blscissors.htm

Some wonderful old scissors, including a beautiful pair of 14th
century scissors
http://thenonist.com/index.php/thenonist/permalink/from_the_history_of_scissors/

Ranvaig