[Sca-cooks] Magninus Mediolanensis and late medieval Iro-Scottish medicine and diet

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 13:19:23 PST 2010

That would be wonderful...it's really frustrating not to have more period
sources for Scottish recipes in period.  I knothat they used a lot of stuff
from both France and England, but given the climate and terrain, they were
bound to have had recipes that were specific to their culture.

If you get any further leads, let me know.  Unfortunately I cannot translate
Latin, but I'm sure there are those who can.

Kiri

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 11:32 AM, emilio szabo <emilio_szabo at yahoo.it>wrote:

> > > Who would have thought to find a transcription of the Latin regimen
> > > sanitatis of
> > > Magninus Mediolanensis in a corpus of ancient texts from Ireland.
> > > Wonderful!
>
> > Well, not really all that surprised.  As I understand it, the Irish monks
> > did a lot to maintain classical knowledge during the Dark Ages.  There's
> > great book, *How the Irish Saved Civilization* by Thomas Cahill that
> > discusses this at length.
> >
> > Kiri
>

> As far as I can see the Iro-Scottish mission of the 6th/7th centuries and
> onwards on the continent is unrelated to the 15th century translation of
> Magninus' medical regimen sanitatis from Latin into the vernacular in
> Ireland
> and Scotland.
>

> What I find more interesting and still surprising is this abstract of an
> article
> I have no access to (Maino de Maineri = Magninus Mediolanensis):
>

> "The Scottish Historical Review
> Volume 86, Number 1: No. 221, April 2007
> E-ISSN: 1750-0222 Print ISSN: 0036-9241
> DOI: 10.1353/shr.2007.0047
> Proctor, Caroline.
> Physician to The Bruce: Maino De Maineri in Scotland
> The Scottish Historical Review - Volume 86, Number 1: No. 221, April 2007,
> pp.
> 16-26
>
> Edinburgh University Press
>

> This article pieces together evidence from  fourteenth-century Scottish
> royal
> records to identify one of the  physicians to King Robert I as the Milanese
> Maino de Maineri (ca  1295-1368), regent master of the University of Paris
> and
> later court  physician and astrologer to the Visconti rulers of Milan. The
> implications for the history of medicine in medieval Scotland are
>  significant,
> suggesting that, at least at court level, Scots demanded  and could afford
> and
> attract a high quality of medical treatment. Also  emphasised are the
> strong
> links that existed between Scotland, Ireland  and continental Europe,
> through
> the travels of physicians and the  transmission of medical literature.
> Three
> fifteenth-century manuscripts  of one of Maino's works are used as an
> example of
> just this type of  transmission. The article urges a reevaluation of
> medical
> culture in  medieval Scotland."
>
> Does it follow from these findings that the work of Magninus/Maino is a
> source
> for late medieval  Irish or Scottish cuisine and diet?
>

> E.

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince