[Sca-cooks] Magninus Mediolanensis on sauces: Regimen / Latin, Irish

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 28 14:23:34 PST 2010

On Nov 28, 2010, at 3:39 PM, Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> On 11/28/2010 6:06 AM, Elaine Koogler wrote:
>> I didn't mean to imply that the Irish were the only ones, but they were more
>> in the north. In fact, Charlemagne had an Irish monk as his tutor and
>> emanuensis.
>>
>> Kiri
>>
> ? Huh? Who are you referring to? Alcuin of York was Northumbrian, and Einhard was German. I can't think of anyone else that might answer to that description.
>
> And I mentioned the library at Cordoba mostly because it seems that no one remembers it.
>
> Liutgard

Any chance we're speaking of John Scotus Eiriugenia? He would have been involved with one of Charlemagne's grandsons, I think...

Subject of a famous medieval joke, in which the monk and the king were exchanging banter, in Latin, over the dinner table, and the king asks, colloquially translated, what is the difference between an idiot and an Irishman (implying there is none), but literally, "What stands between an idiot and an Irishman?" "Mensa," replies the monk -- the table.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter