[Sca-cooks] Cinnamon in German cooking, esp knodeln

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 14:50:57 PST 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 2:25 AM, David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:
> David/Cariadoc> I've been having an online exchange with someone, I think German, who is
> arguing that spices were included in recipes to show off, not because they
> actually tasted good in the recipes. In particular, he claims that cinnamon
> appears in recipes where it doesn't belong, and offers the example of
> knodeln.

Saluti,

Another question would be what type of cinnamon he has been
experimenting with (if at all). True cinnamon has a distinctly
different flavor and texture than Cassia. The delicate floral notes of
true cinnamon often balance better with savory flavors then the
harsher spiciness of Cassia.

>From my experience the most common "spices" found in savory German
recipes are as have already been mentioned: pepper and ginger. The
only specifically Knödel recipe that I have played with (a lamb
meatball taken from the recipe for Veal knödels) has two sauce options
Almond and Pepper sauce. The Knödel itself is seasoned with salt,
pepper and saffron and also contains almonds, raisins and vinegar.

There is no mention of cinnamon.

Can this individual site specific recipes?

--
Serena da Riva