[Sca-cooks] Halogen network

Michael Gunter dookgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 30 11:29:08 PST 2010

I don't know how many of you have access to "Halogen" television network but
it has some wonderful cookery shows.

"Halogen" seems almost low budget and definately leans toward the granola crunching
crowd. There are some very good dramas such as "Regenesis" about a geneticist and
his adventures combatting global viral outbreaks. Or programs about setting up penny
revolution businesses in third world countries.

But there are some very innovative programs based on cooking.
"Endless Feast" visits a local area and has a feast prepared for around 100 people with
all locally produced foods.

"Food Jammers" is a bunch of 20-something wunderkids who love to tinker so they will
figure out how to create technology to make food based on a 20-something budget. They
have done things like make vaccum molds to create a chocolate village, made a smoker
out of a file cabinet, made presses and such for hard cider. They are kind of weird and
fun and the kind of 20-something I wish I had been.

And my personal favorite is "Fink" about a food professional who has created a culinary
arts program in a Canadian secondary school (like our US high schools). His dealings with
the kids and philosophy on food is amazing. And the kids aren't trained actors or wannabe
"reality tv" types. They mumble, get zits, fool around, and just be high school kids.

If you have cable try to check out "Halogen Network".
http://halogentv.com/

Gunthar