[Sca-cooks] Alcohol and its Prohibition

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 1 18:50:43 PDT 2010

Dan replied:
>The prohibition regarding alcohol appears to be sourced in a specific
>prohibition against the use of intoxicants which, if I am not mistaken, is
>classed with the prohibitions against gambling and the worship of idols.
>Thus the use of alcohol in various forms as an intoxicant is prohibited.
>Alcohol as a substance in its other uses would appear not be prohibited.
>Thus it could be used as a fuel, as a solvent, and in medicinal use. Of
>couse its medicinal use, if internally consumed, would appear to constitute
>a rather slippery slope.
>
>Other interpretations of the pertinent texts are of course possible. What I
>have reviewed could only considered a synopsis of the issues.

Heck, other things fall into the class of intoxicants, such as
coffee, which was frequently banned by the imams. But after many
riots in protest, coffee was eventually permitted.

In general, drinking any and all alcohol is prohibited. However,
there is an Arabian/Bedouin beverage made of dates which is lightly
fermented and which is permitted (the name of which is escaping me at
the moment), probably because of its cultural significance during
(and before) the life of the Prophet (PBUH).

Also, the Ottoman palace regularly made a Turkish fermented grain
beverage (usually of millet, sometimes barley) called boza (source of
our word booze), mentioned in the palace account books. Again,
probably not completely halal, but, again, one of those cultural
things that is hard to shake. It was simple to make and probably made
in Ottoman Turkish homes, especially in villages. It was not high in
alcohol, probably kinda like a lot of wimpy American beers. A glass
of the stuff isn't gonna give anyone a buzz.

One must bear in mind that during SCA period, Muslim polities
included members of other religions, the dhimmi, people of the book,
i.e., Jews and Christians, and for a long time in Persia the
Zoroastirans were accepted as dhimmi, as well. So there had to be
wine available at the very least for religious use.

Sadly, nowadays, many Muslim countries are violating what their own
holy book says, and persecuting the dhimmi, Jews (largely because of
Israel) and Christians (not that it didn't also happen in some times
and some places during SCA period).
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita