[Sca-cooks] mead

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 13:21:19 PDT 2010

Gretchen Beck wrote that Oxford Dictionary says:
> hydromel:
>   A liquor consisting of a mixture of honey and water, which when fermented
> is called vinous hydromel or mead.

It also states that mead's
"Origin:
Old English me(o)du, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch mee and German
Met, from an Indo-European root shared by Sanskrit madhu 'sweet drink,
honey' and Greek methu 'wine'"

Cassell's translates "aguamiel" as "honey water, nectar, mead must."
BUT
"mead" is translated as "aguamiel, hidromiel, meloja."
I think we are splitting hairs here. Can "aguamiel" be called mead as it
is not alcoholic?

While we are at it what does "mead must" mean?
Many thanks, I am really pondering on this.
Suey