[Sca-cooks] OT OOP - Copyright infringement thread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Nov 9 19:40:02 PST 2010

1.  Cooks Source has advertisers, that makes it a for profit venture.

2.  Cooks Source has used various writings in it's for profit venture
without permission or attribution to an extent that make any fair use claim
questionable.

3.  Cooks Source is responsible for vetting copyrights.  An overworked,
underpaid staff is not an excuse.  If anyone thinks it is, ask Mary Denise
Smith.

4.  A Facebook hack is a possibility.  It also makes a great excuse.
Without a serious examination of the servers, there is no way to make a
determination of fact.

5.  Digitization and the Internet make it easy to steal any intellectual
property on the net, or to be sloppy with copyrights.  It also makes it easy
for irrate parties to retaliate.  Both behaviors are abusive, but are less
expensive to the perpetrators than the legal alternatives.  The actions
against Cooks Source appear to represent a community redress of a perceived
crime.  Ugly, harsh, excessive, probably not lawful, and possibly effective.
Cooks Source has been punished.  If the punishers stop because the message
has been delivered, then I don't think it reachs the level of witch hunt.  I
would not classify this as an Inquisition, which is performed under color of
authority.  Please note that my personal choice is legal action rather than
vigilantism.

6.  Our copy and paste activities are not in support of any commercial
venture and may fall under fair use.  Since only a court can determine
whether a usage is fair use or not, we would need to be sued singularly or
collectively to make the determination.  Our type and level of copying is
generally accepted by the online community in that we are not seen to be
taking advantage.  Most of us are also quite willing to share our work if
asked.  Cooks Source didn't ask and took advantage.

7.  The other side did get a chance to be heard and their (presumed)
response was less than satisfactory.  They have restated their case (sorry,
we goofed, we are providing compensation for our error, we are denying all
criminal responsibility and we deny that the first reply was ours) and are
making a (sort of) public apology.  Perhaps the apology and the excuses will
be accepted.

While I don't disagree that the (reported) retaliation Cooks Source is
excessive, it is interesting to note that it is in defense of a copyright,
rather than to support the idea that information wants to be free.  It will
be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years.

Bear