[Sca-cooks] Battlefield Bakery Cookbook

Euriol of Lothian euriol at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 22:34:52 PST 2010

I've been trying to get a copy of this book myself. The one link I have for it,
doesn't seem to work. However, it does appear to be available through some
Universities that have subscribed to Early English Books Online.

I did find an article at http://www.theoldfoodie.com/2006_12_01_archive.html
which has the following recipe:

1588: Minst Pyes, with rosewater.

From: The good hous-wiues treasurie Beeing a verye necessarie booke instructing
to the dressing of meates; Anon. 1588

To make minst Pyes.
Take your  Veale and perboyle it a little, or mutton, then set it a cooling; and
when it is colde, take three pound of suit [suet] to a leg of mutton, or  fower
[four] pound to a fillet of Veale, and then mince them small by  themselves, or
together whether you will, then take to season them halfe  an once [ounce] of
Nutmegs, half an once of cloves and Mace, halfe an  once of Sinamon, a little
Pepper, as much Salt as you think will season  them, either to the mutton or to
the Veale, take viii [8] yolkes of  Egges when they be hard, half a pinte of
rosewater full measure, halfe  an pund of Suger, then straine the Yolkes with
the rosewayer and the  Suger and mingle it with your meate, if ye have any
Orenges or Lemmans  you must take two of them, and take the pilles [peels] very
thin and  mince them very smalle, and put them in a pound of currans, six dates,
half a pound of prunes laye Currans and Dates upon the top of your  meate, you
must taek tow or three Pomewaters or Wardens and mince with  your meate, you
maye make them woorsse [?] if you will, if you will make  good crust put in
three or foure yolkes of egges a litle Rosewater, and  a good deale of suger.

 Euriol